Sunday, March 4, 2007

Abandoned books roundup


Four books started and rejected in such a short time. After giving up on The Night Journal, I also gave up on Labyrinth, And Then We Came to the End, and The Constant Princess.

Labyrinth seems like a good option for summer. It's very very long with very small print, and the story looked like it was much too complicated for my current system of barely reading a chapter before falling asleep. And Then We Came to the End was funny and insightful, but without a real main character, I felt like it needed to be a short story and not a full-length novel. It didn't seem to be going anywhere.

The Constant Princess was the biggest disappointment. I've really enjoyed Gregory's other books, but this one didn't have what I liked about the others: interesting, realistic characters. I was willing to overlook the ridiculous dialogue that she attribted to the five-year-old princess, but the overly dignified teenager was so unbelievable. Yes, the character is meant to have been bred to be a princess and a queen, but she's still human! Reviews also indicated that the book ended when the interesting stuff began (Anne Boleyn, for one). Those were enough strikes against it.

Now reading: The Birth House. Will report when I'm farther along.

No comments: