Sunday, January 6, 2008

Dysfunction before it was cool


I adored The Hours and respected A Home at the End of the World (beautifully written, but the story was so sad), so I was pleased to wander past Michael Cunningham's second novel, Flesh and Blood, in the library one day. It was originally published in 1995, which, if I recall correctly, was before dysfunctional family novels and memoirs were all over the place. Even today the plot still feels original -- the characters are too real to ever feel clich├ęd, which is impressive considering the size of the Stassos family. Regardless of the subject matter, Cunningham's characteristically exquisite writing makes this book well worth reading.

1 comment:

Elly said...

I read this book about 7 years ago and loved it; one of those books I randomly came across in B&N from an author I had never heard of. It's probably my favorite Cunningham novel, actually.