Thursday, February 21, 2008

Brighten my northern skies


I didn't really know anything about Vendela Vida's newest novel before I picked it up. I was wandering around the bookstore (I'm a library girl, so this is not a usual pastime for me), looking for another paperback with which to travel, and the pretty blue and white cover caught my eye. (The sale price helped too.) Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name, in addition to having a lovely and fitting title, was an excellent purchase. The story is told in very short chapters, which made me think of those indie movies where the scenes fade to black frequently and pick up a few seconds later. It gave the book a quietness that melded nicely with the snow-covered Lapland setting. I enjoyed the plot, and Clarissa's story definitely kept me reading, but the writing style was what most appealed to me about this book.

No comments: